For students currently enrolled in the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) program who have an interest in pursuing a research project and obtaining an additional university degree. The program provides current DMD students with an opportunity to acquire knowledge and skills is research design and methodology.
- Must be enrolled in the DMD program
- Completed over two consecutive 10-week summer terms that do not interfere with the DMD program
- Bachelor of Science Dentistry degree conferred with DMD degree
What you will learn
You will develop skills in research design, hypothesis testing, literature searching, data evaluation, and scientific writing. You will be immersed in planning and conducting all aspects of a research project culminating in the submission of a scientific manuscript for publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
You will complete the program over two consecutive 10-week summer terms following Year 1 and Year 2 of the DMD program.
After completing the second 10-week summer term, you will present your findings to the College of Dentistry Research and Ethics Committee.
B.Sc. Dentistry curriculum
Spring/Summer Term 1
- DENR 378.3 Introduction to Research Methods – Terminology, Concepts and Methodology
- DENR 379.20 Research Project
Spring/Summer Term 2
- DENR 478.3 Advanced Research Methods – Analysis, Statistics, and Scientific Writing
- DENR 479.20 Research Project
As a guideline, below are the tuition fees. Please note these fees are subject to change from year to year.
Summer - Term 1
|Summer - Term 2||Total|
Current registration in the College of Dentistry DMD program.
Successful completion of Year 1 of the DMD program. Special consideration can occasionally be given to students successfully completing the DMD Year 2.
An academic average of > 78% in Year 1, Term 1 of the DMD program.
Ability of the student to find a faculty supervisor and reach mutual agreement to pursue a suitable research project that can be completed in two consecutive 10-week summer terms.
Selection of candidates will be at the discretion of the College of Dentistry Research and Ethics Committee, and based upon consideration of each candidate’s academic average in Year 1, Term 1, ability to find a faculty supervisor, the quality of the proposed research project, and alignment with the College of Dentistry Plan 2025 – Building on Strengths – Improving Tomorrow.
Deadline - To start the program in May 2021, the deadline to apply is March 19, 2021.
How to apply
- Download and complete the application form
- Include an updated version of your resume/CV in your application package
- Email the completed application package (application form and CV) by March 19, 2021 to email@example.com
Applicants will be informed in writing, via email, of their application status in mid-March to begin the program in May. All offers of admission are conditional upon the applicant maintaining an overall academic average of > 78% in Term 2 of the DMD program.
|March 19||Application form due|
|May 25||Program start date|
|July 30||Program end date|