This certificate program is for internationally educated teachers who would like to pursue a teaching career in Saskatchewan. Candidates for this program must have completed at least one year of a teacher education program in their home country and be qualified to teach in their country of origin.
Candidates must first contact the Saskatchewan Professional Teachers Regulatory Board (SPTRB) for assessment before applying to this program.
- Can be completed in as little as one year
- Online program & in-person field experience
- You cannot begin this program directly from high school
What you will learn
Prepare for a career teaching in Saskatchewan by taking a carefully selected program of five courses. The first four courses are delivered online and will expose you to topics relevant to teaching and learning in Saskatchewan such as the legal context, First Nations and Métis culture and diversity, special education, and the province's curriculum. The final course is a field experience course where you will apply your learning with the support of a peer facilitator teacher.
To complete this program, you will take five courses.
- EADM 203.3 Professional and Organizational Context of Saskatchewan Schools
- ECUR 400.3 Curriculum and Instruction for Saskatchewan Schools
- One of:
- EPSE 390.3 Exceptional Learners
- EDST 215.6 Internationally Educated Teachers Field Experience
* Note: to receive a Saskatchewan Teaching Certificate, candidates may be required to complete more coursework than that required by this certificate. If that is the case, individuals may complete additional courses as they are available and offered in the current undergraduate program.
The Course and Program Catalogue has the complete and official listing of required classes and their descriptions for this program.
This certificate program is tailored to meet the learning and academic needs of teachers educated abroad who would like to teach in Saskatchewan. Our province's schools have more international students enrolled than ever before and we believe our teachers ought to reflect the diversity of our population.
We offer a number of programs to assist current educators to deepen their knowledge in a chosen area. Our certificate programs are flexible, designed to support busy schedules and respond to community needs.
|Canadian students||International students|
|Tuition||$708.30 per class||$2,124.90 per class|
|Fees||$503 per year||$503 per year|
Tuition will vary depending on the type and number of classes you take in a year. This estimate reflects a typical amount you could expect to pay per class (2021-2022 Canadian dollar rates).
Fees are used to fund specific student benefits, including recreational programs and fitness centre access. This estimate reflects the price you would pay if you are a part-time student.
The cost of books and supplies varies widely depending on the courses you choose. It is recommended that you budget between $150 and $250 per class.
The Internationally Educated Teachers Certificate is offered by the College of Education.
Admission requirements and deadlines
- Letter of Permission to enroll in the certificate from Saskatchewan Professional Teachers Regulatory Board (SPTRB)
- Proficiency in English, according to the University of Saskatchewan Language Proficiency Regulations
|Apr 1, 2021
Documents due: May 1, 2021
|May 1, 2021
Documents due: Jun 1, 2021
|Aug 15, 2021
Documents due: Aug 15, 2021
|Dec 1, 2021
Documents due: Dec 15, 2021
Ready to apply?
Undergraduate Programs Office, College of Education
Phone: (306) 966-7654
Undergraduate Programs Office
College of Education
28 Campus Drive
Room 3350, Education Building
University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, SK S7N 0X1